Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Chili Blanco


This is my Mother-in-law, Linda's recipe. I love making it as it is so easy and uses up any leftover turkey splendidly! This picture is a bit misleading as I had to use a little bit of yellow corn making it a bit more colorful than it is supposed to be. Though it doesn't have much color, it has more flavor to make up for it!

Ingredients & Directions!
3/4# chicken (or turkey), cooked in 1 Tablespoon of oil if needed.
Add:
juice of 1 lime or 2 tsp lime juice
1 1/2 cup water or chicken broth (gluten free, of course!)
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp chicken bullion (optional, and I skip since I use the broth)
5 oz. can Herzog Salsa Verde
Reduce Heat and Add:
1 can white Shoepeg corn, drained
1 can white or pinto beans, drained
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic
1/8 tsp pepper

Heat through and enjoy!
I also sometimes just add the juice in the corn and beans. I've also been known not to measure but to just throw it all in there based on what I've got and it always turns out fabulous!

4 comments:

Gluten free Kay said...

Hi Meli n Pat!

The connection worked this time. Thanks!

My brother came for Christmas and brought me some halibut that he caught on his Alaska fishing trip. I might try your gooey halibut recipe. Looks yummy!

Gluten free Kay said...

Hi Meli n Pat,

I heard on the weather last night that it was colder in Indianapolis than it was in Alaska! Sure feels like it! It was -6 when I woke up today. We hope to make it up to 1 later today. Tonight will be our coldest night in many years.

Enjoy your heat wave! We're shiverin' down here!

Linda said...

Blancho Chili: Meli, I know you guys aren't fond of cilantro but I think it makes this recipe. You might want to put it on the list for those who are cilantro lovers.

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Meli n Pat,

The chili looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Celiac Disease Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

Cheers,
Geoff