Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fried Rice

This is my simple go-to when I need to fix something quick! It's easy to make and can utilize whatever veggies I have on hand.

I make 4 servings of rice, either regular white or brown, or if I'm in a real hurry, I will use the minute rice!
While the rice is cooking, I sautee the vegetables (I like a bunch - broccoli, carrots, snow peas, celery, etc.) in a tablespoon of olive oil. When it's crisp tender, I add 2 cans of tiny shrimp or any other leftover meat like a pork chop or chicken. When it's warmed through, I add the rice and put on the LaChoy soy sauce. Other major brands have wheat as the second ingredient. When it's heated through, I push all the rice on to the sides where I crack and egg or two in the middle to scramble. I cook the egg completely before I mix it with the rice. If the soy sauce is too strong, I sometimes will sprinkle sugar on top to taste. I apologize for no real amounts on the vegetables, but I don't really measure!
I've tried using fish oil to taste, but with soy sauce I don't need extra sodium! It does work if you are low on soy sauce. It doesn't take much, though.
Enjoy!

No comments: